Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

Vegetable Soup with Dumplings

Last Wednesday night St. Louis got hit with a pretty serious snow storm and thanks to me living in the City and the City not plowing secondary streets, I took a snow day!  I've always said that I wouldn't be very good at working from home, but I'm proud to say that I actually got a whole lot of work done that day. It was fabulous to be able to shower and then put my favorite Soma pajamas (which are incidentally on sale for a killer price) right back on.  In addition to real work, I was able to get a couple of loads of laundry done and make an awesome lunch. 

I had some veggies that I needed to use before they went bad so I decided to whip up a big pot of vegetable soup.  I normally make my own noodles for my soup, but my mom picked up a package of Mary B's frozen dumplings for me so I used those instead.

Mary B's Dumplings


 


Here's what I used:

Water
One package of Mary B's dumplings
Carrots
Celery
Mushrooms
1/4 of a yellow onion
Fresh garlic (I used 3 cloves)
Salt & pepper to taste

Here's what I did:

Bring the stock and water to boil - I equal parts of both.  Once the broth is boiling, drop the dumplings in ONE AT A TIME. This is very important, if you don't drop them in individually they will all stick together - trust me on this one.  Then I dumped all of the chopped vegetables in and dropped the burner down to medium heat.  You will need to stir the soup pretty much continually so that the dumplings don't stick to the bottom of the pot. I can't remember exactly how long it cooked, just until the veggies were tender and the dumplings were finished - no more than 30 minutes. 


Finished product
This made a ton of soup, but that was great for me because I just threw it in containers for leftovers. I kept a couple in the fridge but also froze a couple.  They'll be perfect on cold days when I don't feel like cooking - nothing like warm homemade soup on a cold and snowy St. Louis day!


1 comment: