Pages

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Pasta Sauce

There's nothing better than homemade pasta sauce...here's my recipe for red sauce!


Red Sauce 
Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 cup yellow onions (1 medium yellow onion), chopped (I prefer red onions)
1/2 teaspoon garlic (2 cloves garlic), minced (I am VERY generous with my garlic - probably about double this)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 can whole peeled tomatoes (28 ounces)
1 can tomato sauce (15 ounces)
4 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Directions
In a medium, heavy pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, salt, basil, oregano and black pepper, and cook, stirring, until soft, 5 minutes.
Place the tomatoes in a large bowl and squeeze to break into small pieces. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, and sugar to the pot and stir well. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
Lower the heat to medium-low, and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally with a heavy wooden spoon.
**Note**
When I make my sauce, I do huge batches of it. I usually triple or quadrupole this recipe (I eat lots of red sauce). Once it's finished, I let it cool, put it in mason jars and then freeze it. This is awesome because nights like tonight I can just pop open a jar and I have my homemade sauce - so much better than anything I've ever bought at a store!

1 comment: